Blood availability is vital to health care in the United States. Because there is not a blood substitute today, community blood providers like South Texas Blood & Tissue Center are critical to bridging blood donors with the patients requiring transfusions.
South Texas Blood & Tissue Center (STBTC) is a Texas institution and a proud partner with the South Texas health care system. It began in 1973 when three San Antonio physicians, Charles Robinson, M.D., Robert F. Gossett, M.D., and Michael H. Sulak M.D., in conjunction with the Bexar County Medical Society charter the new nonprofit, community blood center, South Texas Regional Blood Bank (STRBB).
During the first year over 25,000 generous individuals gave blood and demonstrated that an all-volunteer blood supply could sustain the growing demand for blood in the South Texas Region. This year, thousands of volunteer blood donors will give blood and platelets at one of seven fixed sites or one of the hundreds of mobile blood drives throughout the region.
1901—The discovery of blood group A, B, and O.
1902—The discovery of blood group AB.
1907—The science of cross matching blood begins.
1914—Discovery of anticoagulants.
1917—Pre-collected/stored blood is used during WWI.
1937—Rochester Mayo Clinic begins storing blood for transfusion.
1971-1972—Requirement for volunteer blood donors is mandated by federal government.
1974—STRBB opens its doors for volunteer blood donations.
1976—New location for STRBB at 7078 San Pedro.
1984—Collection milestone of over 58,000 blood donations in one year.
1994—New location built on IH-10 built and a new name: South Texas Blood & Tissue Center to reflect expanded mission.
1996—STBTC becomes first North American Blood Center to achieve ISO 9000 Registration.
2013—STBTC becomes a subsidiary of BioBridge Global.