Donate Blood for Patients like Christian
The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center (STBTC) invites you to offer your support for patients like Christian. Your blood donations are administered during chemotherapy to help replenish crucial blood cells lost during treatment. We encourage all eligible donors to help save the lives of patients by stopping by or scheduling your donation at any of our conveniently located donor rooms.
“If not for blood and platelet transfusions, we would not have been able to get to where he is right now,” - Deborah, Christian's mom.
For 8-year-old Christian, needle pokes, long doctor visits and medicine that makes his entire body hurt have been reality for most of his life. Born prematurely at just 27 weeks, Christian spent the first seven months of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) surviving because of doctors, nurses as well as blood transfusions.
When Christian was 2 years old, his mother Deborah noticed a lump on his abdomen. Doctors at M.D. Anderson in Houston broke the news to Deborah that parents dread – Christian had cancer. He was diagnosed with stage 3 high-risk neuroblastoma, a cancer that develops from immature nerve cells found in several areas of the body.
Christian underwent several rounds of chemotherapy that included several blood and platelet transfusions. After a hard and grueling battle, his cancer was considered in remission.
Unfortunately, in 2015, after 11 months, he relapsed. The cancer was much more aggressive this time, as it was in his lungs and had progressed to his liver. To help him continue his fight, Deborah traveled with Christian wherever he needed to go for treatment, including Fort Worth, Philadelphia and San Antonio.
Currently, Christian receives chemotherapy five days a week and travels to Fort Worth once a month for a special treatment.
ABOUT THE SOUTH TEXAS BLOOD & TISSUE CENTER
Giving blood means bridging the space between two lives. One is healthy, vibrant and generous. The other is experiencing illness, trauma and uncertainty. Making a blood donation is one of the most intimate and priceless gifts one can give and The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center (STBTC) is honored to be the bridge between those two lives.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO BEFORE GIVING BLOOD?
- EAT - Consume an iron-rich meal before you donate. For meal tips, click here.
- HYDRATE - Drinking 8-10 glasses of fluid 1-2 days before you give will help make veins more visible, help you feel more energized after donation and more.
- Rest - Get a good night's sleep before you donate.
- Avoid aspirin - If you're planning on donating platelets, avoid aspirin products or blood-thinning medications for 2 days prior to donation.
- Provide consent - If you're 16-years-old, we will need consent forms signed by your parents. Click here to download the forms.
- Are you eligible? - If you have questions about your eligibility, or to ask about a specific medication, please call our eligibility specialists at (800) 292-5534, ext. 2243, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can also email us here.
Anyone who is 16 years old weighing 120 pounds (with parental consent form), or at least 17 years old weighing 110 pounds and in good general health can donate blood. Donors must present photo ID, last four digits of their Social Security number and their birth date.