Interested in blood donation? Click the button below to schedule your appointment:
Interested in becoming a marrow donor? Click the button below to request a swab kit or text Cure111 to 61474 to register:
ALL PRESENTING DONORS WILL RECEIVE:
- a commemorative 9/11 T-shirt
- a fitness pass with Orange Theory
- a Grunt Style bottle opener and keychain
- a Home and Garden Show ticket
- Free food provided by Whataburger
HOW STBTC & GENCURE ARE JUMPING IN TO HELP
Giving blood means bridging the space between two lives. One is healthy, vibrant and generous. The other is experiencing illness, trauma and uncertainty. Making a blood donation is one of the most intimate and priceless gifts one can give and The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center (STBTC) is honored to be the bridge between those two lives.
GenCure, a partner and authorized donor center of the Be The Match Program (National Marrow Donor Registry), coordinates donor registration, marrow donation and search activities providing donor suitability, management, collection and processing of stem cells for patients hoping for a cure. The GenCure marrow donor program hosts marrow registration drives and special events across South Texas to find donors for patients like Aaron and promote awareness about the urgent need for more potential donors.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO BEFORE GIVING BLOOD?
- EAT - Consume an iron-rich meal before you donate. For meal tips, click here.
- HYDRATE - Drinking 8-10 glasses of fluid 1-2 days before you give will help make veins more visible, help you feel more energized after donation and more.
- Rest - Get a good night's sleep before you donate.
- Avoid aspirin - If you're planning on donating platelets, avoid aspirin products or blood-thinning medications for 2 days prior to donation.
- Provide consent - If you're 16-years-old, we will need consent forms signed by your parents.
- Are you eligible? - If you have questions about your eligibility, or to ask about a specific medication, please call our eligibility specialists at (800) 292-5534, ext. 2243, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can also email us here.
Check out our events page for more exciting donation opportunities!
Anyone who is 16 years old weighing 120 pounds (with parental consent form), or at least 17 years old weighing 110 pounds and in good general health can donate blood. Donors must present photo ID, last four digits of their Social Security number and their birth date.